Age Group: Under 11's
LTAD Stage: Learn to Train
Train/ Match: 70:30
Window of Optimal Trainability (Focus of athletic training)
SKILLS. Learn fundamental Rugby skills, continue with ABCs.
SPEED & Endurance
STRENGTH – Only using body weight
Overall Coaching Approach
Focus on learning new skills, use various games.
Keep it concise & positive (SPF)
Coach through questions / make them think!
Keep them active (Max 30 seconds listening time only)
Concentrate on Skills development, especially newly introduced skills. (Safety)
CREATIVE Team work. Players play what is in front of them. Create time!
(Consolidate and develop previous age skills)
Consolidate & Develop Individual skills / Intro to new skills / cont. Develop tackling (Key element / safety)
- Swerve and dodge / avoid contact
- Side step off both feet
- Always go forward at space
- Lateral Pass – both hands 8+ meters
- Catching (two hands) off the chest
- Pick & Pass and Sweep Pass
- Decision making (2v1 & 3v2)
- Decision making – creating space, switch pass, loop pass and miss pass.
Contact Skills (3rd year of tackling – But still important to focus on perfecting skills – SAFETY)
- Fine tune tackling skills (Front, side & behind) – SAFELY /
- Falling and placing the ball long and jack knife presentations
- Pop up pass from ground.
- Offload out of the tackle. (push ball beyond the defender)
- Getting back to your feet – re-join game – Bounce
Maul *(slight priority over Ruck, as players less likely to be taken to ground by initial tackle at this age)
- Micro – (3-6 players only).
- Ball carrier – Stability & Ball presentation low and in two hands.
- Link Player – Body position (Tower of power), set height equal to a scrum. secure and deliver ball.
- Defender – secure ball & player by wrapping ball carrier’s arms and ball. Leg drive.
- Micro – (6 players only).
- Ball carrier – to ground, then present or pass ball immediately.
- Support player – secure ball or ruck over. (Tower of power),
- Tackler – release, regain feet & contest with leg drive.
- 3 nearest players (all should participate, subject to safety)
- Tower of power
- Player in the Hooker position may strike / NO PUSH
- Identify and attack space. Using patterns like switch pass, loop pass and miss pass
- Re-alignment (attack and defence)
- Recognise and be able to realign on turnover or loss of possession
Kicking & Catching
- Punt, Grubber, Chip. Catching of high ball (Adjust body position) – No fly-hack
Laws / Ethics
- The tackle situation
- Concept of sporting conduct and Perspective on sport.
- Play full tackle games (all abilities)
Principles (Team play)
- Possession – work as unit to source possession
- Continuity – maintain possession / Communication (encourage verbal skills)
- Decision making – allow them to explore various game scenarios and their outcomes
- Vision – Create/be aware of space and how to use it.
- Formation – Different types of attack / defence formations based on what player sees.
Awareness of body space
Balance – Static & dynamic
Co-ordination and manipulation
Speed, Power & Endurance (Intro – Triple extension)
Warm-up and cool down
Development of Self-image
Social confidence – Response to positive reinforcement
Enthusiasm & Commitment
Communication skills and creative thinking
Work as part of a team……but look to identify positive role models.
Law Variations- Under 11's
Players per side: 9
Max pitch size: 60 x 43
Minutes per half: 20
Max game time per day: 70
Additional variations: 70
Coaching tips: Referee & coach with more intervention, especially around recently introduced elements (Safety).