Guildford Rugby Football Club
Guildford Rugby Football Club


S&E v GRFC Colts

Final Score Sutton & Epsom Colts 19, Guildford Colts 33 -14th January
 (1st Round – Quins Cup)
Guildford Colts travelled to Sutton & Epsom RFC for the first game in the Quins Cup, the new Surrey Rugby competition. The squad, again comprising of just four U18s, were bolstered by the return of some players yet a bit anxious having not won a game since early November.
The nerves, however, were soon dispelled as an opening play that saw some fine forward running, offloads and control of possession provided the team with that vital bit of early confidence. Subsequently it wasn’t long until the first score, some fine defensive lineout work on the opposition 5m line by Bulman saw the ball land into hooker Jones’ hands and crash over. S&E responded valiantly gaining good territory and eventually scoring under the posts. Both teams then attacked and defended with great commitment and the game looked set for an even competition – until a mistake by S&E was pounced on by Burns and a delightful offload put winger Almond in space and he sprinted 30m to score in the corner. Straight from the kick off came the play of the match – Jones took a high kick off under pressure, the forwards secured possession before two power runs and offloads from Bulman and Brooks saw Lovatt take the ball from just outside the opposition 22 and gallop over for the third try. With their noses in front, Guildford then relaxed and lost concentration at the breakdown allowing the strong S&E backrow to charge down the pitch and eventually score. Half time, 14-17.
At half time, the boys decided to come out hard and put the game to bed, and they did just that, starting with some great pick and drive play by the forwards which resulted in captain Brooks driving over under the posts. Defensive line pressure then led to S&E losing possession just outside their 22 and after a couple of phases the ball was moved wide to Agyapong-Ntrah who attracted the opposition backs before executing a fine pass to Heyes for him to score in the corner. It wasn’t long until Guildford were on the attack again, the forwards now dominating with pick and drives and offloads and quite clearly enjoying themselves. As they moved closer to the try line S&E defended with great commitment defending multiple efforts to score – eventually, scrum half Woellwarth saw some space over the top of the pile of players and he dived over the line to secure the sixth try for Guildford.
With 10 mins left, the Guildford boys started to tire and S&E showed their commitment by continually attacking eventually going over for the last score of the game. Final score, 19-34. A fine team performance with three tries to the backs and three to the forwards. The Mars Bar Men of the Match were Bulman for his powerful display in the back row and scrum-half Woellwarth who displayed great physicality and commitment.
The next round of the Quins Cup will see the visit of Esher to Broadwater on 11th February 2018.

Our Sponsors and Supporters