Player Development Pathway
Age Group: U15s
LTAD Stage: Training to Train
Window of Optimal Trainability (Focus of athletic training)
VERY IMPORTANT – Be sensitive to the physical changes in the players (not all the same) as this effects training
Player positions may change as they develop
MORE structured games / encourage free thinking.
Overall coaching approach
Develop physical capacities (esp. Aerobic conditioning)
Develop Speed & specialisation of Rugby SKILLS.
(Consolidate and develop previous age skills)
Consolidate & Develop Individual skills / Intro to new skills / cont. Develop tackling (Key element / safety)
- Avoid contact
- HAND OFF (Full)
- Change of pace
- Ball in two hands
- Decision making – Creating & Preserving space
- Switch pass
- Spin pass.
- Fine tune tackling skills
- Falling and placing the ball
- Passing from ground & out or around tackle.
- Getting back to your feet – re-join game.
- Gain possession in tackle
- Full Maul.
- Ball carrier – Strong base & protect ball
- Support Players – Body position/drive, secure and deliver ball.
- Defenders – secure ball & player / drive.
- Full ruck. Ball carrier – Ball presentation.
- Support players – Protect ball carrier & secure ball.
- Tackler – release, regain feet & contest.
- Create Ruck to maintain continuity (Speed).
- Fully contested
- Attack & Defence strategy.
- lifting permitted
- Game strategy from Lineout.
Backline attack – Multiple phases in match conditions.
- Penetration – Positioning, Alignment & identification of space
- Angle of run & timing of pass
- Players be aware of formal role in a pattern
Backline defence (Prevent penetration through defensive line / attempt to regain possession.
- Alignment / move forward / React to threat / TACKLE / Support
Kicking & Catching
- Attack, Defence & KO strategies.
Laws / Ethics
- Understand the rules & Laws of 15s
- Personal responsibility for behaviours and actions
- Full 15s
- Tactical awareness
- Develop positional specific skills
- Understand Games plan
- Effective set piece play.
Principles (Team play)
- ADD PRESSURE to principle of play
- Go Forward / Continuity / Decision making / Team
Fundamental skills – Increasingly positional specific, as play finds their position. It can change.
Mobility & Power
Speed & acceleration
Strength (Window – 12months after growth spurt slows) – keep to body weight only at this age
Concentration on key tasks & factors
Goal setting (personal)
LIFESTYLE / PERSONAL
Life balance (Coping with pressure)
Acceptance of structure & discipline
Law variations - Under 15s
Players per side: 15
Max pitch size: 100 x 70
Minutes per half: 35
Max game time per day: 90
Additional variations: 90
Coaching tips: Be aware of early developers (growth spurt / PHV), as training may need to be adjusted slightly / Concentrate on Building the engine and rugby Skills (Inc. Team play) / REMEMBER TO KEEP IT FUN and treat them like young adults, as players will start to be tempted away from Rugby