Player Development Pathway
Age Group: U13/12s Girls
LTAD Stage: Training to Train
Window of Optimal Trainability (Focus of athletic training)
You are training two age groups, so be sensitive to their development and experience (some may be new to Rugby while others have been playing for some time)
Develop physical capabilities (esp. Aerobic conditioning)
Develop Speed & Rugby skills
Overall coaching approach
IMPORTANT – Be sensitive to the physical changes in the players – PHV around 12+ (Speed, Stamina & Strength are a focus for girls of this age). Earlier than the boys.
Structured games / encourage free thinking.
(Consolidate and develop previous age skills)
- Avoid contact / swerve / Change of pace.
- Decision making – Creating & Preserving space, switch pass, spin pass.
- Intro / develop tackling skills / Falling and placing the ball / Passing from ground & out or around tackle. / Getting back to your feet – re-join game. Build overall confidence in contact.
- Intro / develop Micro Maul (3-6 players only). Ball carrier – Stability & Ball presentation / Support Players – Body position/drive, secure and deliver ball. Defenders – secure ball & player / drive.
- Intro / develop Micro ruck 6 players only). Ball carrier – to ground, then secure, present or pass ball.
- Support players – secure ball or ruck over. Tackler – release, regain feet & contest.
- create Ruck to maintain continuity.
- Intro / develop 5 Scrum (Nearest players (should be encouraged, subject to safety) Hookers may strike / NO PUSH
- Identify/create and attack space. Timing of pass (hold defender)
- Develop further patterns of attack, especially from set plays (Scrum, free pass, KOs)
- All players to practice all types of kicking and catching.
- Understand the basic rules of Rugby
- Personal responsibility for behaviours and actions
- Basic tactical awareness / Start to identify with positional role
- Go Forward – including basic kicking strategies
- Continuity – maintain possession / Support / Communication (encourage verbal skills)
- Decision making – allow them to explore various scenarios / let them get it wrong / review
- Team Play – collective action in both attack and defence.
Awareness of body space
Balance – Static & dynamic
Co-ordination and manipulation
Speed, Power & Endurance (Intro – Triple extension)
Warm-up and cool down
Enthusiasm & Commitment
LIFESTYLE / PERSONAL
AWARENESS & ACCEPTANCE OF PUBESCENT DEVELOPMENTS
Commitment to improve
GOOD HEALTH PRACTICE
Law variations - Under 13s Girls
Players per side: 12
Max pitch size: 60 x 40
Minutes per half: 20
Max game time per day: 80
Additional variations: 80
Coaching tips: Referee & coach to rules, especially around new elements (Safety) Concentrate on Building the engine and rugby Skills (Inc. Team play) CREATIVE Team work. Players play what is in front of them. Create time & Space!