Player Development Pathway
Age Group: Micros
LTAD Stage: ACTIVE START
Train/Match: Just lots of FUN games
Window of Optimal Trainability (Focus of athletic training)
Introduce the development of the FUNdamentals of movement
• Locomotion – Walking, running, dodging, Jumping, hopping, skipping & galloping
• Stability skills (Static & dynamic) – Landing, balancing & rotation
• Manipulative skills – throwing, catching, kicking, dribbling & passing.
The ABCs (Agility, Balance and Coordination)
Overall coaching approach
FUN, FUN, FUN with lots of different Games.
• It is not about Rugby at this age.
• It is about skills that allow Rugby to happen later.
• Keep them active. Minimal breaks / keep it simple
• Use lots of different balls (Rugby, Tennis, football etc.)
• Don’t worry if they don’t like participating at this age, esp if cold and wet. Don’t push…Can always try again when they are older
No festivals / matches etc.
(Consolidate and develop previous age skills)
- Running with a ball
Intro to Unit skills
- Passing to a friend
- Pick up and place a ball
Lots of different games / all sports / different balls etc.
Older players – Intro to rugby game
Awareness of body space
Balance – Static & dynamic
Co-ordination and manipulation
Speed & Locomotion
Positive attitude to sport
Have loads of FUN!
LIFESTYLE / PERSONAL
Basic socialisation skills
Meet new friends
Law variations - Micros
Players per side: 0
Max pitch size: n/a
Minutes per half:
Max game time per day: